I’m in a Plant Based Recipe sharing watsapp group, and shared the Biryani recipe I made recently using surplus ingredients.
Well how can I share it there, and not with you guys? Sharing is caring right? So here goes…
Potato, Mushroom & Chickpea Biryani :-
You should know by now that I use whatever surplus food I have in my cooking; if I don’t have it I don’t use it. Hence, there is no onion or garlic in this recipe. Of course, you can add to yours if you would like to.
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato
- 2 White Potatoes
- 200g Long Grain Rice
- 300g Mushrooms
- Schwartz Biryani Spice Mix or spices of your choosing.
- 400g Tinned Tomatoes
- 100-200g Tinned Chickpeas
- Handful of Cherry Tomatoes
- 1-2tbsp tamarind, or mango, chutney
- 1tbsp margarine or oil
- Chop the sweet and white potato’s, unpeeled – fibre right, into cubes.
- In a large frying pan, fry the cubed potatoes in 1tbsp of margarine, or oil, till soft.
- Slice and add the mushrooms, stirring altogether until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the spice mix, stirring so the vegetables are mixed in the spices well.
- Add approx 100g chickpeas, more if you’d like, the chopped tomatoes, rice, fill the tomato tin with cold water, and add that to the pan.
- Add a handful of chopped cherry tomatoes.
- I added a tamarind chutney pouch leftover from a box of samosas, you could use mango chutney if you have that.
- Simmer until the rice is cooked, adding more water if needed.
Feel free to adapt the ingredients depending on what you have. You could use fresh chillies, ginger, coriander. Choose from different veg; aubergines, squash, peas.
Let me know if you give it a go!